Final movement assembly

3 March 2011
A new Hirsch Liberty arrived for the watch, a very thick, Panerai-look leather strap. I think it will match the watch.



The final assembly of the movement went fine, The matt surfaces are tricky to work with. If you accidentally touch the surface you can't remove the stain with rodico, it sucks in to the structure and needs to be removed and washed. The only problem I had was a result of the sandblasting, if a thin metal detail is sandblasted it will extend on the blasted side, and bend, like hammering out a metal bowl. I knew this from experience, however, I have only seen this happening once, on a thin dial.
The same thing happened on my balance bridge, witch resulted in the balance being jammed, a lot! Because of that the bridge was bent by the extension on one side, I couldn't just bend it back. I had to work around the problem by adding a distance washer under the bridge, plus adjusting a few other things. The positive thing is that, because of the matt surface on the bridge, one can't see that it is bent by any surface reflection from the bridge. Another observation I made is that the balance bridge is actually lower than the gear train bridge and the barrel bridge, so even if I lifted the bridge up, it is not higher than the other bridges, and won't create any problems when i mount the movement in the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment