Construction site...

4 February 2011
The intermediate wheel has to be twice as high to reach the minute wheel, I decided to solder two together. I started with removing one of the inner corners on both wheels, then pressed them into a brass tube, this held them in place with the teeth lined up thus creating a groove between them. I could now easily heat the whole tube and apply filler metal in between the wheels. This worked surprisingly well, the new wheel could be pressed out after cooling the tube down.



To hold the new wheel in place I drilled and threaded an M0.8 hole in the bridge and made a steel tube as a distance, so that the screw presses against the tube and allows the wheel to turn free.


The new setting lever spring is filed out from an original, my first spring broke, probably because of the tempering failing. However, the second one works fine. To the left the setting stem is in, and to the right it is out.



Here you can compare the new setting lever spring with an original.

The mechanism is starting to look like a construction site, or that it's been in a fire, but everything works like it is supposed to and I'll have to work on the finish later.


4 comments:

  1. I was sorta wondering about that. are you not worried it is going to look a bit (sorry to say) ugly? i guess it's not really in the traditional sense of watchmaking so who cares. what kind of finishings are you thinking of?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, honestly I don't have a clue. The setting lever spring will get its "base" reshaped, not so pleased with the way it looks right now.
    I haven't thought so much about finish, not until now when I'm getting closer to the end. The project was never about creating a finished product, more like a concept watch, beating the challenge of get it to work.
    I agree, ugly is the right way of putting it.
    But there is one way of saving it, and that is to turn to the Steam Punk. Must say I am quite fascinated by this style, and this could be a good object to experiment with, in that area.
    So one way would be to make the whole movement look rough and worn, as if its been on the bottom of the sea and then in a fire, and then only finish selected details like the escapement and hands.
    Suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah that sounds interesting. at least it will be different. looking forward to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you will solve each challenge in your own unique way - like you always do Matthias.

    ReplyDelete