Styling

14 February 2011
The watch is running properly, so I can start with the styling. I don't have a clear picture how it will look, so I'll be testing and experimenting. I drilled out the crown wheel, minute wheel and the hour wheel in the schaublin.



I blued the ratchet wheel and the crown wheel just to see what it would look like, but I can't help thinking that too much is happening between 12 and 4 o'clock. I have been sceptical to using blue because of this reason, however, I will create some more action around the second hand that might compensate for this.



I was in contact with a goldsmith, he recommended against filling the hole with gold, apparently it is not so easy to get the gold to merge nicely with the steel because of the high temperature required. So I made a plug, with the shape of a mushroom, and hammered it into place and then polished it. Feels good now when there isn't a hole straight into the movement any more, rodico has done the job until now.


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work filling the hole, looks good. And yeah I think you are going to need some hands that really stand out or they will just blend into the other parts...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, pleased with it. I am thinking of removing some material from the gear train bridge to show the wheels, this will hopefully balance the watch.
    Hands are a nightmare, hard to decide. Stand out they must!

    ReplyDelete