Centre wheel

21 January 2011
The centre wheel needs to be modified, the axis must come out on the movement side. This time I was lucky, the axis can be turned around, the pinion will still work with the barrel. I only have to move the wheel to the other side of the pinion.

I removed the wheel, set the pinion in the lathe where I could shape the pinon so I could mount the wheel on the opposite side.

This is the result after pressing back the wheel on the opposite side of the pinion.



The jewel on the old dial side had to be changed to fit the pivot. The movement has no longer anything sticking out on this side.



This is a close up of the new jewel on the movement side. I needed a jewel with a 1mm hole, the hole in the barrel bridge was 2.2mm. I used a jewel that was 3mm, this creates room for the cannon pinion. The jewel could only be 0.45mm high, to allow for adjustments, but I could only find a jewel that was 0.85mm high. To my surprise it was possible to file the jewel on a diamond file, and quite easily got the jewel down to 0.45mm, then pressed it in place.

As the video shows, the movement is runnig backwards with both second hand and centre axis on the movement side. Next step will be minute and hour wheels.

No comments:

Post a Comment