Second wheel

21 January 2011
The watch is now running backwards, I am pleased with reaching one of my goals, however there is a lot more to do before reaching the next goal, i.e. showing time on the movement side.

I will start with the second wheel, the 6497 has a sub second opposite the winding stem. The pivot that the second hand normally is pressed on to, must come out on the movement side, I was hoping that I could perhaps just turn the whole axis around, move the wheel and change the jewels. This was not the case, this would move the pinion to much, instead I had to change the pivot on the movement side. The original pivot is 0.25mm in diameter, I want to increase this as much as possible because of that the second hand is going to be pressed on. However the axis is only 0.5mm thick, and I have to drill a hole in it, a 0.4mm hole would be possible but this would leave very little material in the "walls" (only 0.05mm) and would most likely crack when I press in the new pivot. So I settled for a 0.3mm pinion. It is important that the pivot is very strong, to avoid breaking it, or pulling it out when the second hand is removed.

I "de-hardened" the axis, set it up in a lathe and removed the old pivot. Drilled the 0.3mm hole, then turned the new pivot out of blue-steel, pressed it in place and shaped it to the right dimensions. After this, I shortened the old second hand pivot.


Top left: Original second wheel
Bottom left: Drilling for the new pivot
Top right: Drilled
Bottom right: New Pivot


For the last finish I used a Pivofix, and finally hand polished the pivot before hardening it. The wheel seen in the top right picture was on the axis when I de-hardened it, this needed to be replaced because of it getting soft during the heat treatment.



The jewel needed to be changed to one with a larger hole, and adjusted.




Pleased with the results!


Testing the video function. You can see the escape wheel turning the "wrong" way, a second hand is test mounted on the pivot.

No comments:

Post a Comment